Search Issue Tracker
[Quest 2] 2022.2 is slower than 2021.3 when built on Quest 2
1. Open Oculus Developer Hub, go to the Device Manager tab, and install OVR Metrics
2. Turn on Metrics Hud
3. Open the OVR Metrics tool on the Oculus device, and select “Basic” under Quick-set Enabled Stats
4. Open the user’s project
5. Build and run on the Oculus Quest device
6. Check GPU usage difference using OVR Metrics
Expected result: GPU usage difference is less than 5%
Actual result: GPU usage differs by more than 5%
version - GPU usage
2020.3.39f1 - 35%
2021.3.8f1 - 43%
2022.1.14f1 - 38%
2022.2.0b6 - 46%
2023.1.0a6 - 46%
Reproducible with devices:
VLNQA00379, Oculus (Quest 2), Android 10, CPU: Snapdragon XR2, GPU: Adreno (TM) 650
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware of it and have issued fixes which will appear in Unity 2021.3.9f1, 2022.2.0b7, and 2023.1.0a7. Public bug link is https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/UUM-9423
Duplicate of https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/UUM-9423
Aug 30, 2022 04:03
Unity, what the hell are you guys doing? You have no basic automated performance tests? It's amateur hour at Unity or what? Almost 50% performance loss is INSANE!
Aug 30, 2022 00:41
@Unity, take note this is affecting LTS 2021.3 and not just the newer beta / alpha versions.
Aug 29, 2022 18:48
Suffering this issue as well
Aug 29, 2022 18:21
I really hope this can be investigated, VR is growing so fast it would be a shame to have issues in versions 2021.3, 2022.2 and 2023.1
Aug 29, 2022 18:20
This is exactly why I’m still on 2019.4 LTS
Quest performance is already hard enough, but this makes it worse.
Aug 29, 2022 18:20
Suffered huge loss of performance (almost halved the frame rate) after upgrading to the latest LTS, went back to 2021 and it worked fine with no changes made at all.
Aug 29, 2022 16:12
Aug 29, 2022 15:51
Suffering the same loss of performance. 2020 urp 10 to 2021 urp 12 has loss of performance.
Aug 29, 2022 14:58
This will keep many devs away from using new features.
There are also issues with performance being different between vulkan and opengles, as well as graphics jobs giving crashing issues in 2021.3 with vulkan
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Depth is not rendered in a depth-only camera which is set up by a custom script
- The Scene\Game view is grey when two "Universal Additional Camera Data" scripts are attached to the camera
- Crash on "'anonymous namespace'::ConvertFBXShapes" when importing an FBX file
- Crash on Transform::RemoveFromParent when Object.DestroyImmediate() is called on Transform
- [Linux] Player consumes more CPU resources when it is running in the background
This is a duplicate of issue #UUM-9423