Search Issue Tracker
Emission of the Particle System is not visible when the Particle System is manually simulated
How to reproduce:
1. Open the user’s attached “TrailsBug.zip” project
2. In the Hierarchy window, select the “Orbiter” GameObject
3. Observe the Scene window
Expected result: Particle System is visible
Actual result: Particle System is not visible
Reproducible with: 2020.3.45f1, 2021.3.19f1, 2022.2.8f1, 2023.1.0b6, 2023.2.0a4
Reproduced on: macOS 13.2.1 (Intel)
Note: If selecting the “TrailTest” GameObject, then the Particle System is visible
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Long Prefab save times when using Unity 2022.2 and higher
- Console displays error "UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Scenes/ .scenetemplate failed." during scene template saving
- "Development Build" watermark is shown in non-development UWP release builds
- Console errors appear when the Inspector is set to Debug and a GameObject is selected
- A script public variable value is not used when set in the Inspector window
This happens because the Parent GameObject is not part of the particle "Effect".
The Effect is defined as being all GameObjects that contain a ParticleSystem Component.
This means that you can get the preview working in a few ways:
1. As you say, select TrailTest instead
2. Select TrailTest, and, in the Scene View preview options that appear, change Simulate Layers to a layer that includes the particle effect. Now it will always be visible in the scene view
3. Add a ParticleSystem component to Orbiter, and turn off all its modules (Shape, Renderer)