Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2018.3.X
Fixed in 2019.1.X
[VR] Particle Systems cause "task.rasterData.indexBuffer == NULL" error and lead to graphical glitches
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new project
2. Enable VR
3. Create a particle system
4. Enter playmode and put it in your HMDs view
5. If error doesn't show, repeat Stop / Play of playmode again. (when doing this i can repro it with the MockHMD)
Result: "task.rasterData.indexBuffer == NULL" error in the console and potential graphical glitches
Reproduced on 2018.3.0b8, 2018.3.0b10, 2019.1.0a9
Not reproduced on 2018.2.16f1, 2018.3.0a1, 2018.3.0b7
Regression introduced in 2018.3.0b8
- Is known to also cause memory leaks
Jun 22, 2021 04:17
still occurs at 2019.4.22f1
Apr 10, 2020 15:18
Still have this error with a trailRenderer in Unity 2019.3.8f1 using universal pipeline...
Apr 06, 2020 23:23
Getting this in version 2020.1.0b4.3439
Mar 29, 2020 00:16
Still not fixed. I get this error with Unity 2019.3.5f1 too
Assertion failed on expression: 'task.rasterData.vertexBuffer == NULL'
Mar 22, 2020 16:36
if you still get this error try to go under project settings < script execution order and set the script that you last wrote /that you think might causes the issue in there after default time and set it to 100 ... i think it has something to do with unity calling a script earlier than the others and this is causing an issue
Mar 21, 2020 11:02
I have updated my project from 2018.3 to 2019.3, and since then I have this issue.
Apr 08, 2019 03:16
This is 5000% better after the update. My memory consumption went from 10.3GB in the profiler (for a single particle system) to 200MB after update. Thanks!
Feb 11, 2019 23:26
Feb 08, 2019 20:40
Sweet, thanks again @RICHARDKETTLEWELL
Feb 08, 2019 16:24
Oh yes you're right I think it's out, as https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2018.3.5 is also now live!
Look at that beautiful release notes entry...
"Particles: Fixed particle systems causing graphical glitches and error messages. (1099125, 1116662)"
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- TreeView Child display toggle styling becomes reversed when clicking and dragging it
- Null is returned when using FocusOutEvent.relatedTarget
- Unity_BaseInstanceID is always zero when rendering multiple meshes and instancing with the same buffer
- UI Document button's text does not resize relatively when size in percentage (%) is used
- Event.current.mousePosition has an offset of 1px along the y-axis in WebGL build when the mouse button is released
Resolution Note (fix version 2018.3):
The fix has now landed in our various release versions. 2019.2.0a4, 2019.1.0b2 (available approx 1st February), 2018.3.5f1 (available approx 6th February). Thank you for your patience.