Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.3.47f1, 2021.3.22f1, 2022.2.12f1, 2023.1.0b9, 2023.2.0a6
[FBX-SDK] Unity Editor not responding and uses up all the memory while importing old FBX with multiple animations
Importing Old FBX files exported with FBX 6.1 (before FBX SDK 2011) and containing multiple animations will grow the memory usage exponentially with the number of animation takes in the file.
This is a bug in the latest FBX SDK (2020.3.1) and will be fixed in the upcoming update. This is out of our control (external to Unity) but is expected early March.
Temporary Workaround: Using the FBX Converter (https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-converter-archives) on the affected files to convert them from 6.x to 7.3 will avoid the issue
# Open attached project with 2023.1.0a26
# While opening project, press "Ignore" and ignore errors
# See that memory usage by Unity is increasing
Result - Notice that editor gets stuck on importing "Idl3.fbx" or other fbx file. Memory usage keeps on growing, until mac asks to shut down some programs. In logs it doesn't show anything more except importing this model
Reproducible with - 2023.1.0a25 eac607654885, 2023.1.0a26 c80c0f25543e
Not reproducible with - 2023.1.0a24 f576cc309ca2
Reproduced on MacOS 12.2 and 13.1, Windows 10. (Happens on all OS but M1 is more affected)
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Pressing Control when the Scene View is in focus logs a "CommandBuffer: temporary render texture not found while executing" warning
- [Android] UI is being scaled up on some Android devices when the referenced resolution in the "Canvas Scaler" component is larger than the actual screen resolution of the device
- Resizing the Scene View causes the Editor to lag when the Canvas contains many items and it's Rect Transform size is changed
- Gizmo Settings Menu overflows to another monitor when the Scene View is expanded
- [Android] Sprite transparency does not work when using RGB ETC1 format and a warning is shown "Cannot compress to ETC1. The split alpha channel and compression to ETC1 requires a packing tag."