Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2022.2.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.3.X, 2021.3.X, 2022.1.X
Texture size increased on first build when 'Compress Textures/Assets on Import' is enabled
How to reproduce:
1. Download the attached project '1397965.zip'
2. Make sure to disable Preferences > Asset Pipeline > Compress Textures on Import (on Unity 2020.3 or older: Preferences -> General -> Compress Assets on Import)
3. Build the project
4. Open Editor.log and look for the line that shows the size of 'Assets/Art/Dolphin/dolphin_texture.JPG' (use ctrl + f)
Expected result: Logs print '512.1 kb 0.5% Assets/Art/Dolphin/dolphin_texture.JPG' (the % number can be different)
Actual result: Logs print '3.0 mb 3.1% Assets/Art/Dolphin/dolphin_texture.JPG' (the % number can be different)
Reproducible with: 2019.4.33f1, 2019.4.35f1, 2020.3.20f1, 2020.3.28f1, 2021.2.0b15, 2021.2.11f1, 2022.1.0a9, 2022.1.0b8, 2022.2.0a5
Not reproducible with: 2019.4.32f1, 2020.3.19f1, 2021.2.0b14, 2022.1.0a8
Notes: The issue only reproduces on the first build, any builds after that get the expected result. Need to delete Library folder to reproduce the issue again on the same project
Jul 04, 2022 01:33
Every build is a 'first build' because we use docker containers to build our game. So this prevents us from upgrading to 2021.
My collegue's comment from the related issue:
> This essentially makes these unity versions not viable for production in our case.
Multiple LTS versions are affected which are supposed to be stable and production ready.
There seems to be no workaround which means that we are stuck with 2019 LTS for the time being. I don't understand why this is not being fast tracked. It has been unresolved for multiple weeks. It essentially makes the new unity versions unusable for every game studio that is developing mobile games where download size matters.
Please fix this ASAP.
Related issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/textures-not-compressed-when-building-bundles
Does disabling 'COMPRESS TEXTURES/ASSETS ON IMPORT' actually workaround the bug in Unity 2021? Is there an editor method to disable this option?
Mar 30, 2022 15:11
I'm currently fighting a similar issue. It's made my project impossible to open now.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [macOS] “Input.GetMouseButtonDown” gets set to true when pressing and when releasing the mouse button in the Device Simulator view if "targetFrameRate" is set in the script
- UWP Capabilities are not changed when rebuilding the project
- [Oculus] Lights causing artifacts when Forward+ Rendering is selected
- Game Window Icons are white when in light mode
- Crash on VFXMemorySerializer::StoreObjects when converting to Subgraph Block
Resolution Note (fix version 2022.2):
Fixed in: 2022.2.0a10
Resolution Note (fix version 2022.1):
Fixed in: 2022.1.1f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.3):
Fixed in: 2021.3.6f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.3):
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.4):
Fixed in: 2019.4.40f1