Search Issue Tracker
Reimporting a shader makes all materials in scene forget undeclared properties set from code
Reimporting a shader makes all materials in scene forget undeclared properties set from code.
This is kind-of-an-edge case. In the project, I have BuggyShader. It assigns the colour property to the emissive colour, but DOES NOT DECLARE IT in the properties block.
I have a script that assigns the colour on Start.
This works (which might be a bug since the colour is not exposed) - this is the same for any property, not just colour.
However, when I reimport ANY shader, the colour is forgotten (which kind of makes sense since it was never declared, and hence never saved). However, this is problematic, as it leads to very hard-to-find bugs in the shaders: If you forget to declare a material property, everything works as you expect. However, importing any shader suddenly introduces random breakage (I spent the entire day figuring out this was happening).
Ideally, I'd say that either
A) the property assignment should fail (as you haven't declared the property, effective making it one for Shader.SetGlobalXXX rather than Material.SetXXX)
B) If this is too evil for backwards compat, a warning in the editor on setting this property would be really helpful.
2) How can we reproduce it using the example you attached.
Notice the sphere turns red.
reimpoty "UnusedShader" in the project window.
Notice that the sphere loses it red
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- When a Rigidbody2D is inactive GetPoint/GetVector/GetRelativePoint/GetRelativeVector fallbacks to returning (0, 0)
- Light brightness gets intense until the 'Lightmap Encoding' quality is changed when baking Lightmap
- Crash on LinearCollectionField::LinearCollectionField after a 'm_ArrayField != SCRIPTING_NULL' assertion when opening a project
- Import Activity Window takes long time to open
- Child Canvas' Sorting Layer is changed to the same value as the parent Canvas after interacting with Dropdown UI object