Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2019.2.X
Fixed in 2019.1.X
"Normal Quality" Texture Compression in Unity 2019 causes significantly more color banding than in Unity 2018.3
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open original project "ImageCompressionColorBanding.zip" in Unity 2019
2. Select Assets/YdRYKNe.png
3. Notice in Inspector "Compression = Normal Quality"
4. Observe the heavy color banding of the image
5. Compare to 2018.2 version ( attached image)
Reproduced in: 2019.1.0b7, 2019.2.0a8
Nor reproduced in: 2017.4.22f1, 2018.3.7f1
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Sprite Preview is broken when the Sprite is too tall or too wide
- Objects are invisible in Scene view when using Wireframe Shading Mode
- The property of a component becomes read-only when it is bound to "PropertyStreamHandle"
- Physics.Raycast does not work when used on the whole model
- Shader Graph changes the Position of Prefab instances in Play mode
Jul 22, 2019 21:53
Not fixed for normal maps in 2019.1.11f1.
Jul 19, 2019 13:38
Still found in 2019.1.11 for normal maps.
May 16, 2019 05:23
Fixed in Unity 2019.3.0a2 according to the changelog:
Apr 21, 2019 09:57
It looks fine in the Game window after turning off compression. Thereafter, it didn't seem to matter what the compression level is set at - looked fine. However, it always looks bad in Play mode.
Apr 18, 2019 22:27
I have noticed this when bringing my project from 2018.3 to 2019.1.0f2 and spotted that there was a lot of colour banding in the skybox.
Mar 03, 2019 16:42
Related forum post: