Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2019.2.X
Fixed in 2019.1.X
JsonUtility.ToJson() modifies its input parameters
1. Open the project, attached by the user (ToJsonTest.zip)
2. Open Test Runner
3. Run all EditMode tests
4. Observe that ToJson fails, because null was expected
5. (Optional) Observe the ToJsonTest.cs script
Expected: JsonUtility.ToJson doesn't modify its parameter and if a member of a class is null, it serializes it as null
Reproduced in 5.5.4p2, 5.6.3f1, 2017.1.0f3, 2017.1.0p4, 2017.2.0b7, 2017.3.0a4
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Input Field ignores first keyboard input when calling Focus() from code
- GC Alloc when using Graphics.RenderMeshInstanced
- [VFX Graph][URP] VFX crashes on URP when dragging VFX asset to the Hierarchy window
- InvalidOperationException when using AsyncGPUReadback.RequestIntoNativeArray
- Generated Entities look different when Depth Priming Mode is changed
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.2):
The behaviour where ToJson() was causing the null-valued field to no longer be null after the call has been fixed.
However, the output of ToJson() has not been changed - null-valued fields will still have dummy instances written for them in the output. Changing this behaviour now would break things, and would be inconsistent with how Unity serialization works in general. We'll consider the scenario as part of future feature development in the area.