Search Issue Tracker
[iOS 14][Metal] Application stucks on splash screen and 'XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED' error is thrown
How to reproduce:
1. Open the attached 'ios_long_startup.zip' project
2. Switch Platform to iOS in Build Settings
3. Build for iOS and open the Xcode project
4. Deploy Xcode project to an iOS device
Expected result: the application does not stuck on the splash screen and no errors are thrown to the Xcode console
Actual result: the application is stuck for about 30-60 seconds on the splash screen and 'MTLCompiler: Compilation failed with XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED' error is thrown to the Xcode's console
Reproducible with: 2019.3.2f1, 2019.4.28f1
Not reproducible with: 2018.4.27f1, 2019.3.1f1, 2020.1.0a1, 2020.1.8f1, 2020.2.0b6
Reproducible with A10(X,Z) SoCs:
- iPad 9.7’ 6th gen (iOS 14.2)
- iPhone 7 Plus A1661 (Customer's info)
- iPad (6th generation) A1893 (Customer's info)
- iPad Pro (2nd generation) A1671 (Customer's info)
Not reproducible with:
iPhone 8+ (iOS 12.0)
iPhone XR (iOS 13.4.1)
iPhone SE 2nd gen (iOS 13.6 and 14.0.1)
iPhone 12 (iOS 14.8)
1. Reproduction is not consistent, regression point might be incorrect
2. This problem only occurs on Metal
3. This problem can be reproduced in an empty project with the package "com.unity.visualeffectgraph": "7.3.1". Seems like it is not a package issue, for instance, it is reproducible/not reproducible on different versions using 7.1.8
4. Tested using Xcode 12 and macOS 11.0 Beta Big Sur
5. Full error message:
2020-10-05 12:30:10.230056-0700 test[581:33778] Compiler failed with XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED
2020-10-05 12:30:10.230210-0700 test[581:33778] MTLCompiler: Compilation failed with XPC_ERROR_CONNECTION_INTERRUPTED on 3 try
Metal: Error creating compute pipeline state: Compiler encountered an internal error
Oct 13, 2021 16:38
I get this on macOS (High Sierra) trying to run the VisualEffectGraph-Samples project in Unity 2021.1.24. This is an important issue to address since it blocks people from trying (and learning) the ShaderGraph in Unity.
Jul 14, 2021 18:35
In fact, there are many mistakes and they are frequent
May 25, 2021 09:05
Having the same thing on iOS 14+. I'm using Unity 2019.4.13 with URP...
Mar 25, 2021 03:51
We have the same issue.
iPhone 6s, Unity 2019.4.22f1
Mar 23, 2021 14:03
Can confirm that this is still a problem. The culprit is the Visual Effect Graph and occurs when using older iOS devices with few cores (iPhone 6S, iPad 5th gen).
Problem occurs with Visual Effect Graph 7.3.1 on 2019.4.13f and 2019.4.22f. Updating to 7.5.3 does not help on 13f nor 22f.
You can reproduce the error by creating a new URP project and then adding Visual Effect Graph. After building to iOS with Metal the error will occur on older devices.
This error is preventing app to be launched on App Store. Please look into this ASAP
Jan 28, 2021 09:36
Have the same issue. It only occurred on (slightly older) devices (e.g. 7th-gen iPad) after updating to iOS 14.3 from 13.
Our project was originally Unity 2019.4.4, I updated to 2019.4.18f1 and it's still occurring.
Jan 17, 2021 22:09
I get the same error deploying on ipad with iOS 14.3 with 2019.3.4f1.
Jan 10, 2021 22:22
To add to this, I'm building on 2019.4.15f1 URP and this issue still persists on the devices listed above.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Android] Text input field doesn't disappear when pressing "Enter" on the keyboard connected to a device and HideMobileInput is disabled
- WebGL Player flickers and logs warnings when viewport is resized and "Linear" Color Space is used
- Rigidbody recalculates its center of mass when moving its child Trigger Collider
- Sprites with different indexes than indicated in Text field of Label Inspector are being rendered
- VFX rendering a sphere when using a custom mesh
This is a duplicate of issue #1300251