Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2017.3.0f3
Fixed in 2017.2.X
Can not receive information about microphone devices when name contains special characters
1. Open project attached (MicrophoneBugTest.zip)
2. Press play.
3. Press on button to check print your Microphones to console.
Expected result: Device name will always be returned.
Actual result: On some devices it returns empty string or null.
Note: Information from user: "This is currently affecting around 2-3% of my customers. There is no workaround. It appears to be potentially related to special characters in different countries. Most customers with issues seem to be in Spain or China."
Make sure your microphone contains any special character. There is suggested name of microphone "Batería de micrófonos internos".
In 5.3 it does not return microphone at all.
Reproduced on: 5.3, 5.4, 5.5.2f1, 5.6.0p1, 2017.1.0b1
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [iOS] App freezes and the "You can attach a managed debugger now if you want” message doesn’t show up when running the app on iOS devices with the "Wait For Managed Debugger" setting enabled
- TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput set from "true" to "false" when TextField is clicked in Android builds
- [Android] ReadPixels gives different results when using Vulkan on some devices
- [URP] Exceeding the platform's supported light limit gives shadow distortion when using Deferred Rendering Path
- URP Sample Buffer Image Tile is moved when the Offset Value is changed
Nov 30, 2019 09:04
I am trying to record audio , but stand alone not able to detect device . Microphone doesn't any device id or name.
Jul 30, 2018 17:16
If anyone wants to upvote the current report on this (unfixed) bug, and is having trouble finding it, it's at this link: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/webcamtexture-dot-devices-returns-empty-name-string-when-webcam-name-contains-special-characters
Jul 29, 2018 15:30
This problem is listed again in Issue 1054494. Please consider upvoting it.
Nov 25, 2017 03:36
I download the 2017.3 beta, the string is not empty now.
But it still has a bug, Microphone.Start(devicename) always start the default microphone.
Sep 05, 2017 10:12
the same proble, I am in China.
Jul 31, 2017 09:48
I have the same problem: two devices with empty names. So I only can use Microphone.Start(null ... ) and work with the default microphone, but I can't use the other device because Microphone.Start only works with string. Maybe Microphone.Start can use the index value in addition to the string value.
May 30, 2017 15:21
I have the same problem. I am working with webcams and microsoft got the registered trademark symbol behind the name which cause problems as well.