Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.2.X
ArgumentNullException gets thrown when changing the base class to MonoBehaviour of a Script that is attached to a State
How to reproduce:
1. Open the attached '1319708.zip' project
2. In the Project window double-click on the Test Animator Controller
3. In the Animator window select the 'A' State
4. Observe the Inspector
5. Open Assets > DummyScript.cs
6. Change the base from 'StateMachineBehaviour' to 'MonoBehaviour'
7. Save the Script
8. Switch back to the Unity Editor
9. Select the 'A' State
10. Observe the Inspector
Expected result: The 'Add Behaviour' button is displayed in the Inspector, no visible errors present
Actual result: The 'Add Behaviour' button and the 'DummyScript' component are not displayed in the Inspector, multiple ArgumentNullException errors appear in the Console
Reproducible with: 2018.4.32f1, 2019.4.22f1, 2020.2.7f1, 2020.3.0f1, 2021.1.0b11, 2021.2.0a8
- The following error gets thrown in the Console:
ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: componentOrGameObject
- The issue doesn't reproduce when changing the base class to 'ScriptableObject'
Mar 25, 2023 17:35
I had a similar issue and basically resolved by restarting the editor.
Mar 31, 2021 12:56
Also note: you can still interact with the state, you just can't see it
Mar 17, 2021 11:21
It feels so good to contribute something.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- NullReferenceException error thrown when changing Scenes in Play Mode
- Crash on "'anonymous namespace'::ConvertFBXShapes" when importing an FBX file
- Crash on Transform::RemoveFromParent when Object.DestroyImmediate() is called on Transform
- [Linux] Player consumes more CPU resources when it is running in the background
- Save process is triggered every time when prefab property values are changed by dragging
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.2):
Fixed in 2021.2.0a15