Search Issue Tracker
Fix In Review for 2021.3.31f1, 2023.2.X
Fixed in 2022.3.9f1, 2023.1.12f1, 2023.3.0a1
Under Consideration for 2024.1.X
Unity does not recognize surround sound driver capabilities and plays audio in stereo
1. Download and open the attached project: "SurroundSoundTest.zip"
2. Enter Play Mode
3. Observe the Console and listen to the recording playing in the background
Expected result: The sound is played in 5.1 surround sound and both Console messages output "Mode5point1"
Actual result: The sound is played in stereo and AudioSettings.driverCapabilites returns "Stereo" while AudioSettings.speakerMode returns "Mode5poin1"
Reproducible with: 2019.4.34f1, 2020.3.25f1, 2021.2.7f1, 2022.1.0b2
- Reproduced on Windows and Ubuntu 18.04
- Tested with surround sound capable hardware and appropriate drivers installed
- The same audio file played in the VLC media player, for instance, outputs proper 5.1 surround sound
- Reproduced in Editor and Player
- Another report mentioned the same issue with 7.1 surround sound but only on Linux
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- 3D Sample Scene (HDRP) template tutorial Welcome Dialog pop-up doesn't appear on project creation
- [Profiler] The Addressable Asset Module module outputs an ArgumentException when asset GUIDs produce a hash collision with Addressables
- Huge amounts of tests have a start delay when pressing "Run All" in the Test Runner
- Blackboard: Double borders around the tooltip
- [WebGL]VideoPlayer Rendering stops when setting FilterMode of a texture downloaded with UnityWebRequestTexture.GetTexture()