Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.3.31f1, 2022.3.9f1, 2023.1.12f1, 2023.2.0b14, 2023.3.0a1
In Progress in 2024.1.X
Unity does not recognize surround sound driver capabilities and plays audio in stereo
1. Download and open the attached project: "SurroundSoundTest.zip"
2. Enter Play Mode
3. Observe the Console and listen to the recording playing in the background
Expected result: The sound is played in 5.1 surround sound and both Console messages output "Mode5point1"
Actual result: The sound is played in stereo and AudioSettings.driverCapabilites returns "Stereo" while AudioSettings.speakerMode returns "Mode5poin1"
Reproducible with: 2019.4.34f1, 2020.3.25f1, 2021.2.7f1, 2022.1.0b2
- Reproduced on Windows and Ubuntu 18.04
- Tested with surround sound capable hardware and appropriate drivers installed
- The same audio file played in the VLC media player, for instance, outputs proper 5.1 surround sound
- Reproduced in Editor and Player
- Another report mentioned the same issue with 7.1 surround sound but only on Linux
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Android] Excessive Z-fighting occurs between two polygons when on Android
- Empty string is returned when using AssetImporter.userData
- Nested coroutines get stopped when calling StopCoroutine()
- Crash on GfxDeviceD3D12Base::DrawBuffersCommon while using Direct3D12 as the graphics API and trying to read from _CameraDepthTexture
- Mixed cached shadows on directional lights not working correctly when cascade count is set to "2"