Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.1.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.2.X, 2020.3.X
Prefabs are reimporting every time a code change is made
Based on the discussion on this forum thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/prefabs-are-reimporting-every-time-a-code-change-is-made.939756
I was discovered that when the following conditions aligned, all Prefabs with a [SerializeField] attribute in a Script were reimporting:
1. Create a project
2. Create a Prefab (PrefabA)
3. Create a new Monobehaviour (i.e. ScriptA.cs)
4. Create another Monobehaviour (i.e. ScriptB.cs)
5. Add ScriptA & ScriptB to a prefab.
6. In Script A, add a private variable:
[SerializeField] private ScriptB scriptReference;
7. Add a new Script that contains this (AssemblyStaticInfo.cs):
8. Create a new script (UnrelatedScript.cs)
9. Modify that script, and notice that EVERYTIME UnrelatedScript is modified, PrefabA is reimported.
10. Remove the [SerializeField] from ScriptA
11. Notice the Prefab no longer reimports.
Expected: Unrelated code changes should not reimport prefabs.
Oct 17, 2022 17:42
2020.3.37f1 and this is still occurring.
Apr 04, 2022 15:35
Same issue for Unity 2020.3.28f1
Apr 01, 2022 18:22
This is happening for me in 2020.3.18f1, reopening and a fix would be great thanks.
Nov 11, 2021 07:26
Same issue in 2020.3.19f1 LTS.
Sep 07, 2021 10:16
Still seeing this issue in 2020.3.16f1, I get a reimport of most of the assets in our projects (resulting in a 20-30 minutes re-import) after changing a couple lines of code.
Jul 02, 2021 13:44
It's odd that this is not yet fixed in the latest LTS (Unity 2020.3.13)
Jul 01, 2021 22:37
If it is not fixed on the latest LTS (2020.3.x) you should not mark it as fixed. It is misleading.
Jun 03, 2021 11:54
Hello, can Unity 2020.3.12f1 fix this bug?
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Console displays error "UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Scenes/ .scenetemplate failed." during scene template saving
- "Development Build" watermark is shown in non-development UWP release builds
- Console errors appear when the Inspector is set to Debug and a GameObject is selected
- A script public variable value is not used when set in the Inspector window
- Inspector window's ObjectFields are not updating correctly
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.1):
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.3):
Fixed in 2020.2.4f1