Search Issue Tracker
[OS X] Unity Editor crashes after clicking play on a Vuforia's project if a path to this project contains non-ASCII symbols
1. Download project attached by the user (or set up vuforia's project with AR camera)
2. Place this project to the folder with non-ASCII symbols (for example 冰淇淋)
3. Open it in the Editor
4. Open "test" scene and hit play
Expected: Scene is played without any crashes.
Actual: Unity crashes after hitting play.
Reproduced with: 5.5.0f3, 5.6.2p1, 2017.1.0f1, 2017.2.0b1
Issue happens only on Mac OS X.
Workaround: remove non-ASCII symbols from your folders names.
The issue has been caused by a bug in Vuforia. During initialization the following happens internally in the plugin:
1. [NSFileManager currentDirectoryPath] is used to retrieve current directory path
2. "QCAR" is appended to it using [NSString stringByAppendingPathComponent]
3. C string representation is retrieved using [NSString cStringUsingEncoding]. The value 1 is passed
as the encoding parameter, which corresponds to NSASCIIStringEncoding.
4. An attempt is made to copy the returned string via strcpy.
The C string representation retrieved in step 3 is NULL, because non-ASCII characters can't be represented (see
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/nsstring/1408489-cstringusingencoding). The plugin calls
strcpy in step 4 without checking for NULL, thus the crash happens.
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about this bug. Please contact Vuforia and say that this issue
has been investigated by Unity and identified as a bug in Vuforia. Providing the findings above to Vuforia
will speed up their resolution process.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Articulation Body tree changes behavior after attaching a trigger Collider
- Fatal freeze when playing a VFX made with VFX Graph and consisting many effects
- "Failed to download Build.data.br file" error is thrown when building projects for WebGL with the Compression Format set to "Brotli"
- Documentation Link does not work when the "New Panel Settings" question mark is clicked
- Async Scene load operation with allowSceneActivation set to false completes when refocusing the Editor