Search Issue Tracker
[IL2CPP] Build hangs while building a project with a large array of strings
1. Open the attached project.
2. Make sure Scripting Backend is set to IL2CPP.
3. Build and run the project with iOS/Android platform.
- Build hangs while building to device.
5.3.8f1, 5.6.0b11, 2017.1.0a3
Not reproducible with:
Response from Dev team:
This is due to the large array initializer of strings expanding to a very large method body without any branches. The array initialization looks like a constant operation in C#, but it really gets expanded in IL to a bunch of string allocations and stores into the array.
This aggravates C/C++ compiler, especially in release, as it tries to optimize this. We will look at better handling this issue, but not likely in the near future.
As a workaround, you can load the string data from an eternal file or encode it as a stream of bytes. You can then read the data into an array yourself and avoid the time/memory expended by the C++ compiler.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Unable to find a corresponding location while using Partial classes/methods when debugging
- Crash in AnimatorOverrideController::GetOriginalClip when using an indexer operator to access an animation clip
- Import errors when converting from Blend to FBX
- [WebGL] In developer build method Mathf.CeilToInt() throws an exception
- [Tilemap] Visualization of the tile is created in another tile when quickly moving cursor after releasing left mouse button