Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.2.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.1.X
[Windows] Editor uses one CPU Logical Processor at 100% while the game is in Pause Mode
1. Create a new project
2. Enter Play Mode
3. Pause the game
4. Inspect loads on all of CPU's Logical Processors using monitoring software (Task Manager)
Reproducible with: 2019.3.0a6, 2019.3.2f1, 2020.1.0a24
Not reproducible with: 2017.4.37f1, 2018.4.17f1, 2019.3.0a5
1. In 2020.1.0a24 the Entire GPU is loaded extremely heavily (> 70% and more than half cores loaded at > 90%)
2. Sometimes the load on one Logical Processor does not stay at 100% but rather spikes to 100% between some Logical Processors (Or one Thread spiking to 100%)
3. This was tested on Windows. The issue does not seem to reproduce on Mac
4. Sometimes the issue stops reproducing and PC needs a restart to make the issue reproduce again
Mar 13, 2020 18:27
I just realized this was about having the editor paused and not running (empty scene). So it's probably different issue.
Mar 13, 2020 09:07
Please see thread at https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2019-3-1f1-uses-100-cpu-on-1-core-when-paused-background-in-empty-project.831589/ for more info
Mar 13, 2020 08:53
I have the same issue. Running empty scene in editor consumes all CPU - not one core but all of them. Happens 2019.3.5f1 and 2019.2.3f1 at least (both Android and Standalone platforms).
Windows Performance Analyzer shows multiple threads running some DirectX 10 stuff:
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- The terrain appears darker when "Per-pixel Normal" is enabled
- [Linux] Editor assertion causes Test Runner to fail when executing it in Batch Mode
- Color selection by the mouse cursor is still enabled when the "Esc" button is pressed
- Game view becomes black and the Scene window becomes grey, “ArgumentOutOfRangeException” errors and “Render Pipeline error” warnings appear after changing the name or deleting URP/HDRP global settings file
- Transform Component is not accessible inside the Player when RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod is used
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.2):
Fixed with 2020.2.0a12, backported to 2019.3.16f1
Fixed an Editor issue on Windows where while in playmode and paused one or more CPUs would be utilized at 100%.
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.1):
Fixed in 2020.1.0b16