Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.1.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.2.X
[editor][fmod][macOS] Editor is preventing Mac OS from entering sleep mode automatically
1. Open launcher and activity monitor
2. Notice that in activity monitor's Energy tab, Unity has 'No' value in 'Preventing sleep' column
3. Create a new project
Expected: 'Preventing sleep' column value will not change
Actual: 'Preventing sleep' column value becomes 'Yes'
• Only some machines cannot enter sleep mode automatically, others do it successfully despite 'Yes' value in 'Preventing sleep' column.
• Disabling audio in scene and game view helps sometimes too
Reproduced: 5.5.0b7, 5.5.6f1, 5.6.5p1, 2017.1.3f1, 2017.2.1p3, 2017.3.0p4, 2018.1.0b6, 2018.2.0a1
Mar 02, 2022 02:56
I am still encountering this issue in 2020.3.*, despite the claims that it was fixed in 2020.2.*.
Sep 08, 2020 22:27
I've just discovered that I have this issue too; was trying to figure out why my Mac wasn't sleeping.
Using Unity Beta 2020.2.0b1.2959
Mac OS 10.15.6
Hopefully, someone looks into this.
May 12, 2020 16:47
Hello. This is actualy "a big deal" for our company. It's a requirement of our IT policy that our computers lock themselves after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Feb 27, 2020 03:44
Still occurring, latest versions of Unity, latest mac OS. This is very frustrating, and intrusive to my remote work setup.
Dec 29, 2019 10:28
Any info on this? It's really annoying because it drains battery in your backpack completely to 0% (pretty quickly) unless you quit Unity or shut down your Mac. It makes working with Unity very unpleasant experience
Dec 13, 2018 07:45
I think the assumption that some machines do indeed sleep is wrong (!!). Many people don't know if their Mac is truly sleeping or not ! The machines are always switching off the monitor - which looks like it has gone to sleep. Only if you check with tools etc. you can see if the machine is really in sleep mode.
So I would say if Preventing Sleep = "Yes" which is always the case only with Unity running (due to its audio being active) - all mac machines won't go to sleep and just switch their monitors off!!
It would be really great if this after several years can finally get fixed - because its bad that unity is the only program I always have to close so that my imac pro can go to sleep.
If all Audio Outputs are deactivated it needs to truly shut down the audio output and this would automatically lead to Preventing Sleep = "No". But it seems like that Unity is always using its audio output and thus causing it from preventing sleep.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Quest 2] Running Entities Graphics/BatchRendererGroup under Vulkan results in a frame rate drop compared to OpenGLES 3 and causes Tile Binning to cost more
- Filters dropdown: Window doesn't rescale on items collapse
- Sprite Preview is broken when the Sprite is too tall or too wide
- Objects are invisible in Scene view when using Wireframe Shading Mode
- Physics.Raycast does not work when used on the whole model
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.1):
Previously this was by design.
A way has been found to fix this. Unity will not be preventing sleep after the Editor fully loads.
Fixed in 2021.1.0a7.1331
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.2):
Fixed in 2020.2.2f1.3859
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.4):
Fixed in 2019.4.24f1 (4e106a1d61c6)