Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.3.31f1, 2022.3.9f1, 2023.1.12f1, 2023.2.0b7
Fix In Review for 2023.3.X
Under Consideration for 2024.1.X
[DX12] ShaderData.VariantCompileInfo.ShaderData contains 38 extra bytes on DirectX 12
On DirectX 12, when calling ShaderData.Pass.CompileVariant, the returned data contains 38 extra bytes in ShaderData.VariantCompileInfo.ShaderData before the actual compiled shader begins.
# Open the attached project ("Shader Compile") on a Windows machine
# Select one of the shaders ("NewUnlitShader" or "NewSurfaceShader", or both)
# In the top menu, select "Dump -> Dump DXIL". This creates one file per shader stage / pass in the project's root folder (e.g. "Custom_NewSurfaceShader_sub0_pass0_fragment.dxil"). The file is a straight dump of the ShaderData.VariantCompileInfo.ShaderData content
Expected behavior: The dumped file contains a valid DXIL shader
Actual behavior: There are 38 extra bytes of garbage in the beginning before the actual DXIL shader.
For illustration, I attached screenshots from a hex editor. Notice that the shader compiled by DXC ("dxc_.png") starts with the magic "DXBC". The shader compiled by Unity ("unity.png") has this magic at byte 38 instead.
Reproducible on 2021.3+
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [iOS] Back Triple Camera is not focusing manually and automatically
- Mouse inputs cannot be inputted when searching the Shortcuts Menu by type "Shortcut"
- "Debug Assertion Failed!" error when launching Windows Dedicated Server Player with Script Debugging enabled
- [Cinematic Studio][3D HDRP] Shader warnings thrown in the Console window when creating a new project with Cinematic Studio template
- Autoplay is triggered on Audio Assets when changing Asset Bundle tags