Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.3.32f1, 2022.3.12f1, 2023.2.0b15, 2023.3.0a10
Custom PropertyDrawers are not being released
Add the following script to a project:
public class MyClass
public class MyClassDrawer : PropertyDrawer
public override void OnGUI(Rect position, SerializedProperty property, GUIContent label)
public MyClassDrawer() => Debug.Log("MyClassDrawer");
~MyClassDrawer() => Debug.Log("~MyClassDrawer");
public class Test : MonoBehaviour
public MyClass myClass = new MyClass();
# Add the Test component to a GameObject
# Select the GameObject, notice the property drawer is created.
# Deselect and reselect. A new drawer is created every time but the finalizer/destructor is never called.
# Enter playmode or change a script. All the finalizers are called.
It seems that something is holding onto the property drawer and preventing them from being garbage collected. This makes it hard to clean up after a drawer and results in issues such as this [https://forum.unity.com/threads/application-shutdown-cleanupmono-never-finishes.1118140/page-2#post-9171365]
From what I can see, the drawer is stored in *Editor.propertyHandlerCache* however when the Editor is released (OnDisable etc) the drawer is still not released, even if you force propertyHandlerCache to null. It appears that it is being referenced somewhere.
Tested on 2019.4, 2021.3 and 2023.3. They all have the issue.
Calling UnloadUnsedAssets and GC.Collect does not help.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Tilemap Collider 2D is not updating the Collider shapes when removing Tiles on the Tilemap component
- Inspector with the scrollbar is unusable when Material properties are edited and the scene is saved
- The Rendering Profiler module statistics are zero when Application.targetFrameRate is set
- The Editor becomes unresponsive and memory allocation errors are spammed in the Console when Generating Lightning
- Crash on BatchApplyPropertiesFromSourceAssetDB when opening a specific project