Search Issue Tracker
Third Party Issue
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.3.X, 2021.2.X, 2022.1.X
"Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file" error is thrown when .blend file is imported
"Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file" error is thrown when .blend file is imported and Blender 3.0.0 is the default version for opening .blend files
How to reproduce:
1. Ensure that Blender is not installed
2. Install and run Blender 2.93 (https://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.93/)
3. Save the file (File > Save As) and close Blender
4. Create a new Unity project
5. Import the saved .blend file into the project
6. Install and run Blender 3.0.0 (https://www.blender.org/download/)
7. Open the saved .blend file and ensure it was opened with Blender 3.0.0 (Blender logo in the top-left toolbar > About Blender)
8. In the Unity project's Project window, right-click the .blend file and select "Reimport"
9. Inspect the Console window (Window > General > Console)
Expected result: No errors are seen in the Console
Actual result: "Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file. " error is seen in the Console
Reproducible with: 2019.4.34f1, 2020.3.26f1, 2021.2.8f1, 2022.1.0b4, 2022.2.0a2
Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
You need to use Blender 2.45-2.49 or 2.58 and later versions for direct Blender import to work.
Jan 23, 2023 10:57
Why this is marked as resolved for 2021? IT IS NOT FIXED IN THE LATEST 2021.3.16! Project is COMPLETELY BROKEN BECAUSE OF THIS.
Jan 21, 2022 23:15
You can find help on this in this thread:
Jan 20, 2022 20:49
Was hoping the newest unity release would fix this. Still broken! Please fix ASAP, many indies use Blender as their modeling software for Unity projects!
Jan 18, 2022 19:02
this is a pain for me as i have a lot of blend files in my projects that i want in other unity projects
Jan 17, 2022 10:03
This is a pretty desperate issue for me!
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [macOS] “Input.GetMouseButtonDown” gets set to true when pressing and when releasing the mouse button in the Device Simulator view if "targetFrameRate" is set in the script
- UWP Capabilities are not changed when rebuilding the project
- [Oculus] Lights causing artifacts when Forward+ Rendering is selected
- Game Window Icons are white when in light mode
- Crash on VFXMemorySerializer::StoreObjects when converting to Subgraph Block
Resolution Note (2022.2.X):
This issue was caused by a change in the way Blender launches its executables which broke Unity .blend conversion workflow.
The fix is now included in Blender v3.0.1 and later, so please make sure Windows is using these as its default.
If changing the default executable is problematic you can find some help in this forum thread: