Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in Unity 5.2.0
[Shaders][Metal] Incorrectly compiled metal shader, missing matrix type cast
At some points compiled metal code doesn't have matrix typecast function. For example, float3x3 -> half3x3.
1. Open project "MetalCompile" (Attached by LukasC);
2. Open scene "Test".
3. Build & Run.
4. When xCode project starts, you should get some metal compilation errors.
Steps without building project:
1. Select shader "NewShader".
2. Click compile (Only for metal).
3. Goto line 2116, you should see smth like:
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.x;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.x;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.x;
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.y;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.y;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.y;
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.z;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.z;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.z;
tmpvar_29 = tmpvar_30;
4. You should notice that "tmpvar_29 = tmpvar_30" that this matrices are in different types.
In metal this type conversion requires cast, however opengles20 doesn't require it.
As I know unity generates metal shaders from openglES20 shaders, so this could explain why this bug happens.
But the strange thing is that, if you would use miss-matched matrix types normally in shader:
mat2 = mat1;
In metal it will be compiled correctly.
mat2 = _xlcast_half4x4(mat1);
So it means this bug is more complicated and caused by multiple factors.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Tile Map] Default cursor doesn't change to resize cursor on hovering over Default brush section in Tile Palette window
- After light bake, when light is switched from Baked to Realtime - it does not emit any light
- Multi-material list ordering does not respect DCC material ordering
- Timeline Track Clip locks to the Timeline cursor's position when moving it in the Timeline Asset
- [Particles] Infinite lifetime + prewarm causes errors