Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 5.2.0
[Shaders][Metal] Incorrectly compiled metal shader, missing matrix type cast
At some points compiled metal code doesn't have matrix typecast function. For example, float3x3 -> half3x3.
1. Open project "MetalCompile" (Attached by LukasC);
2. Open scene "Test".
3. Build & Run.
4. When xCode project starts, you should get some metal compilation errors.
Steps without building project:
1. Select shader "NewShader".
2. Click compile (Only for metal).
3. Goto line 2116, you should see smth like:
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.x;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.x;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.x;
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.y;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.y;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.y;
tmpvar_30.x = tmpvar_27.z;
tmpvar_30.y = tmpvar_28.z;
tmpvar_30.z = tmpvar_25.z;
tmpvar_29 = tmpvar_30;
4. You should notice that "tmpvar_29 = tmpvar_30" that this matrices are in different types.
In metal this type conversion requires cast, however opengles20 doesn't require it.
As I know unity generates metal shaders from openglES20 shaders, so this could explain why this bug happens.
But the strange thing is that, if you would use miss-matched matrix types normally in shader:
mat2 = mat1;
In metal it will be compiled correctly.
mat2 = _xlcast_half4x4(mat1);
So it means this bug is more complicated and caused by multiple factors.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Package Manager/My Assets: 401 Response code trying to download a paid asset store package
- TrailRenderer.SetPosition will log a Index out of bounds error when index is in bounds of the positionCount property
- [URP] Graphics.DrawMeshInstancedIndirect rendering correctly after clicking an another application/refreshing Assets
- Packages under V2 lifecycle are incorrectly labeled as 'Pre-Release' or 'Release'
- [XR SDK] Single Pass Stereo Instanced rendering breaks when rendering into the shadow map of a spotlight source