Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2019.3
Fixed in 2019.2
Painting terrain crashes when texture resolution is below FullRes in QualitySettings
Findings so far:
1. When QualitySettings.textureQuality is not at full resolution, the textures are reloaded behind-the-scenes to bring them down by however many mip levels.
2. Terrain doesn't consider this, and so generates temporary textures to copy to/from based on the full-res texture size.
3. Copying from the full-res temp texture into the smaller texture doesn't crash, but throws errors.
4. Copying from the smaller texture into the full-res temp texture ONLY crashes when the location of the copied subresource is out of bounds of the smaller texture.
The crashes we see are due to #4.
1. Open the attached project named "Case_1148582"
2. Select the Terrain and try to paint using the blue texture
Expected result: The blue texture is painted on the Terrain ( Track_1148582_V1 )
Actual result: Either nothing happens, black artifacts appear or the Editor crashes ( Depends on the Unity version used, more information in the Notes below)
Reproducible with: 2018.3.0a6, 2018.3.14f1, 2019.1.0f2, 2019.2.0a13
Not reproducible with: 2017.4.26f1, 2018.3.0a5
1. When 2018.3.0a6 - 2019.1.0f2 versions are used Textures don't change when painted, however, the Scene's Lighting is re-baked as if changes were made. Behavior is shown in Track_1148582_V2
2. When 2019.2.0a11 and above is used, black artifacts appear when painting. Crashes are also possible. Behavior is shown in Track_1148582_V3
3. The issue happens when "Half Res", "Quarter Res" or "Eighth Res" Quality settings are used
Stack trace from the crash:
========== OUTPUTTING STACK TRACE ==================
0x00007FF8574CA271 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart
========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Mac] Unity Hub encounters a critical error when trying to launch it after logging out
- [XR SDK | GLES] large gpu perf regression ~3 ms
- UploadHandlerFile.contentType cannot be set and always returns "text/plain"
- [XR][URP][Shader Graph][Android] Shader graph shaders are not rendering on Android when using texture array layout (multiview)
- Cloth behaving different after upgrading to 2019.2.9 from 2018.3