Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.2.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.1.X
[macOS] Unity kernel crashes Mac with OpenGL when only Intel Graphics are present
How to reproduce:
1. Open the ("Crash Unity Project.zip") project
Expected result: Unity runs fine
Actual result: Unity crashes the whole OS
Reproducible with - 2019.3.0a10, 2019.3.11f1, 2020.1.0b8, 2020.2.0a9
Not reproducible with - 2018.4.22f1, 2019.3.0a9
Using -force-metal argument fixes the problem until Library folder is deleted
Aug 27, 2020 21:43
We're still experiencing kernel panic crashes in Unity 2019.4.9 app builds running on MacBook Airs. (Case 1271751)
Jul 21, 2020 13:02
Same bug with 2019.4.1 2019.4.2 2019.4.3 2019.4.4 with projects upgraded from older version of Unity.
Jul 08, 2020 05:35
I encountered this kernel panic when upgrading 2018.4 to 2019.4 on a 13 inch 2020 MacBook Pro.
I ended up using the -force-metal command line argument and it fixed the issue for me.
You also don't have to launch Unity from the command line if you're using Unity Hub, you can add the -force-metal command line argument under "Advanced Project Settings" for the project you're trying to launch.
May 08, 2020 19:24
I'm using unity 2019.3.13.
May 08, 2020 19:23
I got the same issue. to macbooks starting crashing and reboot after a project.
This project was migrated from 2019.2.
I removed projectsetttings file from project and let unity recreate it.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- TreeView Child display toggle styling becomes reversed when clicking and dragging it
- Null is returned when using FocusOutEvent.relatedTarget
- Unity_BaseInstanceID is always zero when rendering multiple meshes and instancing with the same buffer
- UI Document button's text does not resize relatively when size in percentage (%) is used
- Event.current.mousePosition has an offset of 1px along the y-axis in WebGL build when the mouse button is released
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.2):
OpenGL is being deprecated from Apple platforms, the workaround is to switch to use Metal on Standalone target (Editor uses Standalone settings for deciding which Graphics API to use).
Fixed in 2020.2.0a21
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.1):
Fixed in 2020.1.4f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.4):
Fixed in 2019.4.9f1