Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2022.1.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.3.X, 2021.1.X, 2021.2.X
[iOS] Crash on MTLReportFailure.cold.1 due to a missing endEncoding call on exiting the application
How to reproduce:
1. Download the Xcode project from the provided Google Drive link
2. Build and Run the project on a device
3. In the app, if shown a prompt with the button "Confirm", click "Confirm"
4. Click on the Facebook button to log in with the specified account (login information can be found in the edits)
5. Once logged in, skip through all the pop-ups to get to the main game screen (screen with the button "Spin" at the bottom)
6. Click on the blue shield icon in the bottom right
7. Go to the friends tab
8. Close the application
Reproducible with: 2019.4.22f1
Could not tet with: 2018.4.36f1, 2019.4.29f1, 2020.3.15f1, 2021.1.16f1, 2021.2.0b5, 2022.1.0a4 (Only an Xcode project is available)
iPhone 7 (iOS 12.3.1)
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 14.1)
Could not test with:
iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.8) - app crashes before completing the steps to reproduce due to an out of memory issue
Errors thrown before the crash:
-[_MTLCommandEncoder dealloc], line 131: error 'Command encoder released without endEncoding'
-[_MTLCommandEncoder dealloc]:131: failed assertion `Command encoder released without endEncoding'
First lines of the stack trace:
frame #0: 0x00000001d11b898c libsystem_kernel.dylib`__pthread_kill + 8
frame #1: 0x00000001ecf46c74 libsystem_pthread.dylib`pthread_kill + 272
frame #2: 0x00000001ae18ebb4 libsystem_c.dylib`abort + 104
frame #3: 0x00000001ae18de7c libsystem_c.dylib`__assert_rtn + 208
frame #4: 0x00000001ba8b06f0 Metal`MTLReportFailure.cold.1 + 56
frame #5: 0x00000001ba8981d0 Metal`MTLReportFailure + 468
frame #6: 0x00000001ba88808c Metal`-[_MTLCommandEncoder dealloc] + 128
- Video of reproduction can be found in the edits
- Possibly related to Case 1227236 (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/crash-on-mtlreportfailure-dot-cold-dot-2-plus-43-when-running-build-with-graphics-jobs-enabled)
Jan 25, 2022 17:43
Yep, this bug is back in 2020.3.26f1. Happening to me too.
Jan 19, 2022 05:40
We just had this happen to all of our Mac players after upgrading from 2020.3.18f1 to 2020.3.26f1 : "Command encoder released without endEncoding"
So since it's marked as "fixed" in 2020.3.18f1 - maybe something re-introduced it in the recent updates.
Aug 04, 2021 19:52
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Shader Graph and the Visual Effects Graph scroll unreasonably fast on OSX
- [Android 4.4] Player crashes at splash screen when building with Frame Timing Stats enabled in the Player Settings
- VisualElement’s auto width is incorrect when the element’s parent has a set width
- Black and white flickering when using two Full Screen Pass Renderer Features
- [Audio] Microphone API latency and audio distortions appear after recording
Resolution Note (fix version 2022.1):
Fixed in 2022.1.0a7
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.2):
Fixed in 2021.2.0b11
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.1):
Fixed in 2021.1.20f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.3):
Fixed in 2020.3.18f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.4):
Fixed in 2019.4.30f1