Search Issue Tracker
[GPU PLM] OpenCL shader loading time in the new projects has become significantly slower
Steps to repro:
1. Create the new project;
2. Add a Cube and a Plane gameobjects;
3. Select added Cube and Plane and mark Cube and Plane gameobject as Static;
4. Select Directional light and change its type to Area (Baked only);
5. In the Lighting window (Window>Rendering>Lighting) click New Lighting Settings button;
6. In the Lighting window change the Lightmapper to Progressive GPU;
7. In the Lighting window press Generate Lighting button;
8. After the GI bake is done open the Editor.log file and search for the following string: "\[PathTracer] Loaded OpenCL shaders in X secs -> Timestamps:" where X is a current OpenCL shader loading time;
9. Compare the shader loading time between different Unity versions.
OpenCL shader loading takes reasonable amount of time.
OpenCL shader loading time has become significantly slower. Below are the results obtained in different public Unity release versions:
2022.2.0a1 (30debfae6b27) - 32.748 sec
2022.1.0b1 (aa8da40855d9) - 33.853 sec
2021.2.7f1 (6bd9e232123f) - 35.860 sec
2021.1.28f1 (f3f9dc10f3dd) - 27.888 sec
2020.3.25f1 (9b9180224418) - 32.336 sec
2019.4.34f1 (6a9faed444f2) - 21.392 sec
2018.4.36f1 (6cd387d23174) - 9.912 sec
Regression introduced in-between Versions 2018.4 and 2019.4 (shader loading time became 2x slower if comparing with 2018.4) and in Version 2020.3 (shader loading time became 3x slower if comparing with 2018.4).
- Reproducible in Versions 2022.2.0a1, 2022.1.0b1, 2021.2.7f, 2021.1.28f1, 2020.3.25f1, 2019.4.34f;
- Reproducible on Windows with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 GPU; Not reproducible on macOS;
- Reproducible only when doing the first GI bake in the new project, not reproducible for the subsequent bakes.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Dropdown menu covers the button when there is no space for it from below
- WebCamDevice only returns one rear-facing camera when built on Android
- Reimporting a Scripted Importer Asset when Profiler is recording will make it null
- Created Import Issue Asset doesn't show up in the Project window until the Unity Editor is restarted
- [Android] Application name with an ampersand is removed and replaced with an underscore in 2021 LTS and up