Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.2.X
Fixed in 2019.3.X, 2020.1.X
Editor crashes during Sprite Atlas baking when not enough disk space is available
How to reproduce:
1. Ensure system drive has less than 70GB available
2. Open project from "AtlasCrashRepro.zip"
3. Press "NFH>Bake SpriteAtlases for current Platform" from the toolbar or build the project
Expected result: Atlases bake successfully
Actual result: During the Atlas bake RAM and system disk usage go to 100% and shortly after the Editor crashes or freezes
Reproducible with: 2019.3.0f5, 2019.3.8f1, 2020.1.0b4, 2020.2.0a5
Not reproducible with: 2017.4.39f1, 2018.4.20f1, 2019.3.0f4
1. AtlasCache needs to be cleared from Library folder
2. Around 70GB gets used during the bake and does not reproduce if enough storage is available
Apr 30, 2020 05:42
Can confirm the fix working for me in 2019.3.11f1
Release note for 2020.1.0b7 beta list the issue to be fixed too , so seems no need to wait for b8 release there .
Codus to the Unity Dev team for getting this fixed :)
Apr 09, 2020 05:41
Guys, seriously .. could you fix this Bug please ?
The bug description here is absolutely wrong. Not only the reasoning is plain wrong by affiliating it with a certain amount of disk space available, its misleading too by implying an increase in free system disk space would provide a workaround.
Unity even crashes with 100GB system disk space plus 32GB of RAM available.
I'm longtime supporter for Unity and leaving such a serious CRASH bug open in the wild for such a long time is not what i expect from Unity.
So please pump up the priority for this !
Apr 01, 2020 17:36
Its primarily a RAM issue, not a system disk space issue. The growing disk usage happens because of the RAM gets eaten up completley, the swapfile gets used additionally and grows as it seems to about 70GB, a limit after witch the bug apparently recovers.The 70GB will certainly vary depending on yoiur available physical RAM. Also the affected disk will depend on the swapfile location.
Additionally i have reproduced the bug on each of the public 2019.3 releases since they are out of beta, for certain with 2019.3.0f4 which is listed here for not reproducable for some reason
this is the one single bug that prevents my project from being upgraded from 2019.2 to 2019.3.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Containers' height doesn't expand when text wraps
- Variable is set to a different value from the selected enum value in the Editor dropdown
- TreeView Child display toggle styling becomes reversed when clicking and dragging it
- Null is returned when using FocusOutEvent.relatedTarget
- Unity_BaseInstanceID is always zero when rendering multiple meshes and instancing with the same buffer
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.2):
A fix for this issue will be available on Unity 2020.2.0a10 and above
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.1):
A fix for this issue will be available on Unity 2020.1.0b8 and above
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.3):
A fix for this issue will be available on Unity 2019.3.11f1 and above