Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.3.10f1, 2022.1.12f1
[Backport] Infinite loop not detected when importing ShaderGraph assets
Postprocessing materials and ShaderGraph assets can cause an infinite loop, where the same patch of assets is repeatedly imported and post processed.
The AssetDatabase has infinite loop detection for these sorts of scenarios, but the hashing is non-deterministic, so it can fail to detect that the same assets are being repeatedly imported.
The bug can be reproduced by simply opening the attached project.
I also have a native test 'PostProcess_InfiniteLoop_Checking_IsDeterministic' to verify the behaviour at a smaller scale.
Steps to reproduce:
- Open project
- Project opens successfully - maybe with errors/warnings in the console
- Project gets stuck in importing.
- The text 'Importing (iteration xxx)' in the progress bar will keep increasing the iteration number into the hundreds and thousands while importing .mat and .shadergraph assets
- Kill the Unity process and attempt to open the project again
Reproduces on: 2021.2.0b18, 2021.2.2f1, 2022.1.0a14
Not reproduces: 2020.3.22f1
Note: please use both stripped and full project for verification (both can be found in the comment)
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- OnActiveBuildTargetChanged is not called when changing the build platform
- Silent crash when scripts are recompiled on a specific project
- [Android] Video freezes when built for Android with specific project
- UI element is not displayed when Canvas Render Mode is set to Screen Space-Overlay
- Editor crashes on libetc_init when changing WebGL Texture Format to "RGB + 1-bit Alpha Compressed ETC2 4 bits"