Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2022.2.X
Duplicate in 2020.3.X
[Apple silicon][M1] Game view FPS is very low when the view is moved to an external display
Using an external display on an Apple silicon MacBook Pro laptop causes playmode FPS to drop significantly.
1) Connect an external display to an Apple silicon-based MacBook Pro
2) Create an empty project. Make sure the scene view is not visible but the game view is. There's another, separate perf issue when showing both at the same time.
3) Enable the "Stats" button in the game view.
4) Enter play mode.
5) Move the game view between the built-in display and the external display. Leave it for a few seconds each time to let FPS stabilize. Note the values.
Result: Performance on the external display is very poor compared to the internal display
Expected: Much better performance on external displays
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- The terrain appears darker when "Per-pixel Normal" is enabled
- [Linux] Editor assertion causes Test Runner to fail when executing it in Batch Mode
- Color selection by the mouse cursor is still enabled when the "Esc" button is pressed
- Game view becomes black and the Scene window becomes grey, “ArgumentOutOfRangeException” errors and “Render Pipeline error” warnings appear after changing the name or deleting URP/HDRP global settings file
- Transform Component is not accessible inside the Player when RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod is used
Oct 07, 2022 19:12
Confirmed on Unity 2021.3.10f1 and Macbook Pro M1 2021
Jun 21, 2022 18:54
why is there no plan for 2021.3.x?
Jun 21, 2022 18:54
it looks like this is only available with 2022.2.0a17: https://unity3d.com/de/unity/alpha/2022.2.0a17
Jun 08, 2022 08:47
Tested in 2022.2.0a13 Alpha. Issue is much better - but still a little inconsistent. Hopefully they iron it out before the release of the 2022 next stable version.
When I have the editor on one screen and the game running on another screen, the frame rate gets divided by 5 (still usable ~1000fps to ~200fps), but drops as low as 70fps.
You may expect a little frame loss from running the game on another screen, but a frame rate drop of 80%? That seems a little off.
Jun 01, 2022 10:43
PLEASE BRING THIS UPDATE
May 19, 2022 10:01
May 02, 2022 09:45
Having this issue as well
- unity 2021.3.0f1
- macbook pro 14", m1 pro 16 core GPU, 16 GB memory, Monterey 12.0.1
- Xiaomi Ultrawide
on a simple scene,
built in monitor: ~300-500fps
external monitor: ~20-50 fps
Apr 21, 2022 04:59
Can confirm having the same issue here. OCCASIONALLY I can get it to behave as expected (closing/restarting) but most of the time is capped to 30 FPS when using external monitor with laptop closed. When using just the laptop - 200-400 fps
Mar 31, 2022 04:35
Is there any new news on this? I cannot make games on any native version of Unity - too frustrating and fully of weird frame rate bugs.
Mar 20, 2022 00:54
Same here. Intel version 2020.x doesn't have this issue though.