Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.2.X
Duplicate in 2021.3.X
A false pop-up appears when modifying a script and having Recompile After Finished Playing set
How to reproduce:
1. Open the attached "1325047.zip" project
2. Open the Sample Scene
3. Go File -> Preferences -> General -> Script Changes While Playing and set "Recompile After Finished Playing"
4. Enter the Play Mode
5. Open the "script.cs" script
6. Modify the script and save it
7. Go back to the Editor
Expected results: No pop-ups appear
Actual results: A "Recompiling Scripts" pop-up appears
Reproducible with: 2021.1.0a8, 2021.1.3f1, 2021.2.0a13
Not reproducible with: 2018.4.34f1, 2019.4.23f1, 2020.3.4f1, 2021.1.0a7
Mar 10, 2022 20:48
What is the delay in fixing this issue? Every time I change external code Unity reloads scripts -- and I have explicitly told the editor NOT to.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Linux] Editor assertion causes Test Runner to fail when executing it in Batch Mode
- Color selection by the mouse cursor is still enabled when the "Esc" button is pressed
- Game view becomes black and the Scene window becomes grey, “ArgumentOutOfRangeException” errors and “Render Pipeline error” warnings appear after changing the name or deleting URP/HDRP global settings file
- Transform Component is not accessible inside the Player when RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod is used
- [Linux][Plastic SCM] Unity Version Control window text is replaced by the key names of the labels and buttons
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.2):
We are simplify the option to either allow auto-refresh during playmode or not. Reasoning is that there are two use cases for this: Artist who want to allow refresh during playmode so that he can go tweak textures in photoshop and see change when he switches back. Coder who either like to do the same (ie. change code and go back to see the changes) or like to change code without unity compiling/domain-reload when he re-focus the editor (instead prefers to press ctrl+r himself). The case we are removing is where switching back to the editor can refresh non-scripts, but script changes are handled after the user goes out of playmode. That case was really not aligned with how we reflect state from disk into the editor and is currently broken.