Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.1.X
Some Textures are not created when their formats are shown as supported by SystemInfo.SupportsRenderTextureFormat
1. Open attached project "1266102"
2. Open scene "SampleScene"
3. Enter Play Mode
Expected result: All texture formats that are shown as supported by SystemInfo.SupportsRenderTextureFormat are created
Actual result: Some texture formats that are shown as supported by SystemInfo.SupportsRenderTextureFormat are not created
Reproducible with: 2018.4.27f1, 2019.4.11f1, 2020.1.6f1, 2020.2.0b3
Reproduced using: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, 452.06 drivers
Texture Formats that were not created but shown as supported: ARGB1555, Depth, RGB565
RenderTexture.Create failed: format unsupported for random writes - BGR5A1 UNorm (71).
TestTexture:TestTextureFormat (UnityEngine.RenderTextureFormat) (at Assets/TestTexture.cs:54)
TestTexture:Awake () (at Assets/TestTexture.cs:15)
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Parallax mapping with UVs set other than UV0 plugged into sample texture 2d produces an error
- Objects with single letter name won't show up in hierarchy search results
- The GameObject is not transparent when setting CameraDepthTexture as a depth render target
- SRP Lens Flares with Occlusion enabled inconsistently shine through objects
- "Can not play a disabled audio source" is thrown when audio is toggled on with disabled Audio Source in the Scene
Resolution Note (fix version 2021.1):
Not all formats are supported for random access writing. This depends on a number of factors:
- the graphics API (e.g. DirectX, Vulkan, ...)
- actual hardware capabilities
- driver version
Giving an error here is actually expected behavior though there was not easy way to know what formats are supported.
I added SystemInfo.SupportsRandomWriteOnRenderTextureFormat (available in 2021.1.0a2.546) to query if you can enable random access scattering for a given format. Users are expected to query a format before trying to create a RenderTexture.