Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2020.2.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.1.X
"SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate" thrown when loading UI Asset for the first time
1. Open attached project ("case_1263521.zip")
2. From the menu bar select AG Tools > Prefab tester
3. In the opened "Prefab Tester" window click any button
4. Observe the Console window
Expected result: No warnings are thrown
Actual result: "SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate" warning is thrown
Reproducible in: 2019.4.1f1, 2019.4.8f1, 2020.1.0a2, 2020.1.2f1, 2020.2.0a20
Not reproducible in: 2018.4.26f1, 2019.4.0f1, 2020.1.0a1
1. The issue is only reproducible when loading an asset from the asset database for the first time, so in order to reproduce it again, the project has to be closed and reopened.
2. For issue to reproduce the Asset has to be a nested Prefab.
3. Full warning message:
SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate
PrefabScriptSearch:OnGUI () (at Assets/PrefabScriptSearch.cs:41)
Mar 02, 2022 17:57
This issue is still present in Unity 2021.2.12f1.
Dec 16, 2021 11:59
Unity 2020.3.24f1 LTS
This bug has not been fixed.
Oct 20, 2021 08:22
It also occurs in 2021.1.25f1.
The bug has not been fixed.
Sep 26, 2021 07:56
I'm getting this in 2019.4.18f1 everytime my project loads. There is no stacktrack so no idea what is causing it.
Feb 08, 2021 10:18
Still present in 2020.2.3f1
the bug is not fixed
Jan 19, 2021 17:03
And in Unity 2019.4.18 it's broken again. Filed as
(Case 1307500) Regression: Warnings SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate
Nov 22, 2020 11:26
> Fixed in 2019.4.16f1
AT LAST! I just updated to 2019.4.15 and once again worked around this by commenting out the offending lines in Scrollbar and Toggle (at least we can edit those files) and am very happy to see that this will apparently be the last time I had to do this ... after having made it a routine for every minor Unity update for the last few months.
Oct 07, 2020 09:25
Will it get solved in 2019.4 LTS? It's really annoying and happens a lot for me
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [URP] Exceeding the platform's supported light limit gives shadow distortion when using Deferred Rendering Path
- URP Sample Buffer Image Tile is moved when the Offset Value is changed
- Static constructor in a struct returns false when running tests with IL2CPP
- Console throws warnings and a MissingReferenceException error for XR packages when doing a clean project import
- [Linux][IL2CPP] Dedicated server crashes when calling Socket.Send
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.2):
Fixed in - 2020.2.0b3
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.1):
Fixed in - 2020.1.14f1
Resolution Note (fix version 2019.4):
Fixed in 2019.4.16f1