Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 5.4.4
[shaders] Mac shader compiler runs out of memory on complex surface shaders (e.g. Blacksmith Characters pack), 5.4+
Importing "The Blacksmith: Characters" asset, the editor gives an error "Protocol error - failed to read correct magic number". The shader compiler crashes, probably due to out of memory.
1. What happened
Import "The Blacksmith: Characters" asset and see a shader compiler error. The project plays, but character models are pink.
2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached
- Download and import the "The Blacksmith: Characters" asset from the Asset store;
- After the import is finished see the error in the console:
"Shader compiler: internal error preprocessing shader: Protocol error - failed to read correct magic number". The Volund_StandardCharacterSpecilarSurface shader has failed importing.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- ScriptableObject.OnDestroy is not called after Respouces.UnloadUnusedAssets
- UI stops rendering when WaterSurface's Caustics are enabled
- Black screen frame appears in the WebGL Player when the Unity loading screen is over
- Crash on WriteParticleLineVertex when the "Generate Lighting Data" property is enabled in the Particle System
- UI overlay becomes visible in ray-traced reflections when HDR Color output is enabled