Search Issue Tracker
Object Picker window does not display Assets when using Script Property
How to reproduce:
1. Open the user's attached project
2. Open scene Scenes/SampleScene
3. In the Hierarchy window, select the GameObject "Test"
4. In the Inspector window, under the "Test (Script)" component, click the small circle icon to the right of the Parent property
5. In the newly opened Object Picker window, select the Assets tab
6. Observe the listed Assets
Expected result: the Assets tab in the Object Picker window displays two Prefab Assets
Actual result: the Assets tab in the Object Picker window displays no Assets
Reproducible with: 2019.4.34f1, 2020.3.26f1, 2021.2.8f1, 2022.1.0b3, 2022.2.0a1
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Fatal freeze when playing a VFX made with VFX Graph and consisting many effects
- "Failed to download Build.data.br file" error is thrown when building projects for WebGL with the Compression Format set to "Brotli"
- Documentation Link does not work when the "New Panel Settings" question mark is clicked
- Async Scene load operation with allowSceneActivation set to false completes when refocusing the Editor
- [Addressables] OperationException errors appear when using Synchronous loading of remote AssetBundles and RetryCount
Resolution Note (2022.2.X):
This is working by design.
The reason is the following:
Assets in Scene - These assets are already loaded in Memory, thus, they don't need to be loaded and so their data can be extracted for a minimal cost (i.e. the types present on the Prefab).
Assets in the Project - These assets are not necessarily loaded in memory, and so if we were to search for a particular type inside Prefabs, that means we would need to Load the Prefab into memory, and this takes time & memory. We would need to load ALL prefabs in a project if this was the case, and as such it would make searching prohibitively expensive.
One alternative would be for quicksearch to cache the Component Types available in a prefab, and use that data for future searches, but that is a feature.