Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2019.3.X
NullReferenceException occurs on reloading the Inspector with a C# script selected
If you have a C# script selected in Project View and the inspector is reloaded (either by recompiling or importing/refreshing the file), a NullReferenceException will occur.
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor.InternalSetTargets (UnityEngine.Object t) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/AssetImporterEditor.cs:122)
UnityEditor.Editor.OnForceReloadInspector () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:603)
1. Open Unity
2. Open the attached project
3. Find TestScript in the Project View and select it so the Inspector displays info about it
4. Right Click on the TestScript and Reimport
5. Right Click on the TestScript and Refresh
You can also see this happen by double clicking the TestScript in Project View to open it in a code editor, make changes and then return to the editor. The error will occur after recompiling.
No errors appear in the console.
A NullReferenceException occurs in the console.
Tested on Windows.
Reproduced on 2019.3.0a4
Cannot Reproduce on 2019.2.0b3, 2019.3.0a2, 2019.3.0a3
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- The terrain appears darker when "Per-pixel Normal" is enabled
- [Linux] Editor assertion causes Test Runner to fail when executing it in Batch Mode
- Color selection by the mouse cursor is still enabled when the "Esc" button is pressed
- Game view becomes black and the Scene window becomes grey, “ArgumentOutOfRangeException” errors and “Render Pipeline error” warnings appear after changing the name or deleting URP/HDRP global settings file
- Transform Component is not accessible inside the Player when RuntimeInitializeOnLoadMethod is used
Oct 02, 2020 17:17
I have the same problem at Unity 2020.1.6f1
on open Inspector or Project Settings Window :/
Sep 22, 2019 10:23
I'm experiencing this on Linux, .3.0a5. I haven't yet found a way around it and I can't load my scripts. It would be nice to have this fixed so we could, you know, use your editor.
Jun 26, 2019 20:21
Still reproducing in 2019.3.0a5
Jun 22, 2019 02:00
Also reproducing in 2019.3.0a5
Jun 11, 2019 13:48
Issue is still reproducible in 2019.3.0a5.
Jun 08, 2019 03:47
Still reproducible in 2019.3.0a5.