Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2022.1.X
Fixed in 2020.3.X
[iOS] MicroSplat terrain texture cannot be loaded due to "async texture load" error
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open the attached project ("1351248.zip")
2. Import MicroSplat from the asset store (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/microsplat-96478)
3. Open "SampleScene"
4. Switch to iOS platform
5. Regenerate MicroSplat Texture Arrays (Window -> MicroSplat -> Utilities -> Regenerate Texture Arrays)
6. Regenerate MicroSplat Shaders (Window -> MicroSplat -> Utilities -> Regenerate Shaders)
7. Build and deploy to a device
Expected results: Terrain is loaded without an issue, no texture load error is produced
Actual results: Terrain texture
Reproducible with: 2020.2.0a21, 2020.3.14f1, 2021.1.15f1, 2021.2.0b2, 2022.1.0a3
Not reproducible with: 2019.4.29f1, 2020.1.17f1
Cannot test 2020.2.0a1-2020.2.0a16 (Third-party asset required to test breaks)
- Doesn't reproduce on Mac Standalone
- Need to regenerate Texture Arrays and Shaders when switching between versions and platforms since different compression settings are used for different platforms
Feb 07, 2022 18:11
We set our project on iOS to ASTC in the project settings (from 2021.2 onwards!)
then we also manually setup the Microsplat material to override textures to ASTC like OCARLBAUM was saying. This works for us with addressables and CCD on iOS
Feb 02, 2022 07:25
Is there any update to this being fixed? ASTC didnt work for us sadly so we're still stuck on 2020.1.17f1
Dec 09, 2021 13:26
As an FYI and potential workaround to others with this problem:
Looking at the changelog for the 2022 fix I noticed it has to do with the PVRCT image compression format which Unity uses by default for iOS.
I got it to work by using the MicroSplatConfig texture compression override. There I forced iOS to use the ACTS format - which Unity even recommends if all target iOS devices are later released after 2013 (See the unity docs for TextureImporterOverride - cant add the link because they don't allow links to their own docs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Dec 07, 2021 17:12
Is there an ETA on when this will be released for 2020.3?
This is a major blocker for our upcoming release and we can't go back to 2020.1.17f1.
Can we expect this before the end of december?
Nov 25, 2021 11:24
When is this going to be fixed on a usable version of unity? has been "Planned" for weeks now, still not able to use a version of unity newer than 2020.1.17f1 and its causing *major* issues.
Nov 01, 2021 21:49
Cannot update past 2020.1.17f1 because of this. Unacceptable to have the fix in review for 2022.1.X for so long with no word on when it will be available on a relatively stable version.
Oct 27, 2021 20:42
Hopefully this gets backported to 2020.3 LTS soon(!) - this is broken for 2 years now and people are expected to ship with 2020.3 LTS??
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [Linux] Player consumes more CPU resources when it is running in the background
- Save process is triggered every time when prefab property values are changed by dragging
- Physics.SphereCastNonAlloc is slow when the results array is large
- Colors of GameObject are changed and the background color is green when disabling the “Intensity” of “Bloom” in “Global Volume” GameObject and enabling the “Allow Dynamic Resolution” setting in Camera
- .editorconfig files are ignored when a Roslyn analyzer is running through the Editor
Resolution Note (fix version 2022.1):
Fixed in 2022.1.0a13
Resolution Note (fix version 2020.3):
Fixed in: 2020.3.32f1