Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2022.2.X
"Duplicate identifier" error can report the wrong object identifier
In the case of merge problems some portion of a YAML -format Unity file might be repeated more than once in an asset file.
If an object is repeated this will be reported with a message like:
Duplicate identifier 624274415. File: "Assets/DuplicateFileIDs.unity".
However when the file ID is greater than 2^31 (2,147,483,647) then the wrong value is printed, which can make it hard to pinpoint the problematic part of the file for manual repair.
-Create a simple Prefab
-Open the prefab file in a text editor
-Find an object with an identifier that is more that 2147483647 (the id is randomly generated)
-Copy and past that object so it appears twice in the file
-Save the prefab file
-Refresh the asset database and click on the prefab
Expected Result: Several error messages will be logged, including one "Duplicate identifier " and quoting the correct id
Actual Result: the error message shows a seemingly random id, which might be negative
The identifier printed is the local file identifier, and corresponds to the first line of a serialized object within the scene, prefab or other asset file, for example:
"--- !u!1 &624274415"
By definition each object within a serialized file must have its own unique identifier. The most common cause of duplicate values is when a merge conflict or other operation on the text file has caused some portion of the contents to be duplicated within the file.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Standard Unity Materials and Shaders become corrupted after importing specific Asset Packages
- [Linux][OpenGL][Vulkan] Draw calls are not shown in the Event List when taking a capture of a frame with RenderDoc
- Inaccurate collision detections when Rigidbody Collision Detection is set to "Continuous" or "Continuous Dynamic"
- Crash on Object::IncrementPersistentDirtyIndex when upgrading project version
- [iOS] Multiple Xcode project instances created before opens up when performing Build and Run for iOS Platform