Search Issue Tracker
DLL Placeholder values cannot be found when DLL is in a local package
How to reproduce:
1. Download and extract the "1105403_repro.zip" archive
2. Open the "1105403_project"
3. Observe the errors in the Console window
4. In the Project window, select Packages/Holo<...> FileServer/Assemblies/AOT/Newtonsoft.Json
5. In the Inspector, observe that the Placeholder value
Expected result: Placeholder values are found and are non-empty; no "Failed to find placeholder" errors in the Console.
Actual result: Placeholder values are empty; "Failed to find placeholder" errors thrown in the Console.
Reproducible with - 2018.2.20f1, 2018.3.0a1, 2018.3.5f1, 2019.1.0b3, 2019.2.0a5
Not tested on 2017.4, since Packages folder (in Project window) was not yet introduced.
Failed to find a placeholder ('Assets/JsonDotNet/Assemblies/Standalone/Newtonsoft.Json.dll') for 'Packages/com.<...>/Assemblies/AOT/Newtonsoft.Json.dll', ensure it exists, or change plugin settings for 'Packages/com.com.<...>/Assemblies/AOT/Newtonsoft.Json.dll' accordingly.
UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetPrecompiledAssemblies(Boolean, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget)
UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:GetMonoIslandsForPlayer() (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/InternalEditorUtility.cs:390)
The issue arises because the .meta files in the package project reference the placeholder using relative path, which is specific to that project. When you treat that project as a package, the paths will obviously point to the wrong location on disk. The solution here is to configure the placeholder from the project that's referencing a package. That way it gets configured in a package context and will work for any projects that include the package.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- Slow editor shutdown when baking with progressive lightmapper
- Clicking on cloud icon in "In the Cloud" section, instead of opening Unity Version selector it opens save project location Popup
- ShaderGraph ColorMask material on RenderTexture is transparent while in Game View opaque
- [MacOS] Windows that are unattached are hidden behind Editor when the Editor Window is focused
- Some ParticleSystems use the wrong texture when several of them are being rendered with different Textures