Search Issue Tracker
Fixed in 2021.1.X
Fixed in 2019.4.X, 2020.3.X
Deployment to HoloLens fails when Deploying app through Windows Device Portal
How to reproduce:
1. Open the attached "hl2test.zip" project
2. Build to UWP (with ARM64, via Device Portal)
Expected result: Build is successfully deployed
Actual result: Build fails with "Deployment failed - Must specify an appx file to install" error
Reproducible with: 2018.4.30f1, 2019.4.16f1, 2020.1.17f1, 2020.2.0f1, 2021.1.0a9
- Reproducible on HL1 and HL2
This issue was introduced by a behavior change in Microsoft's MakeAppx.exe tool; see this VisualStudio problem ticket for details
In short, MakeAppx.exe outputs a .msix package within newer Windows SDKs versions instead of an .appx package. There's no real difference between the two packages, but Unity searches for a package with .appx name extension when deploying to Device Portal. A fix is in progress to query for both .msix and .appx files.
The new MakeAppx.exe behavior is triggered when building an app with a Minimum Windows SDK of 10.0.17763.0 or later, and the bug can be bypassed if you select an older Windows SDK when using Build and Run through Device Portal.
IMPORTANT: You can still set the Target Windows SDK to use new versions (important when building for HoloLens2), and only the *Minimum* SDK needs to be changed to an older version to avoid the bug.
All about bugs
View bugs we have successfully reproduced, and vote for the bugs you want to see fixed most urgently.
- [WebGL] ExposedReference<Transform>.Resolve() is not generated correctly in WebGL
- Resizing Profiler Module Details panel and releasing mouse button outside Unity doesn't cancel resize
- "Auto-hide gizmos" preference is not saved when reopening the project
- Sampling a custom depth texture on a machine with a GTX 1080 makes object's textures display the wrong color when in Play mode or Player
- Terrain is missing the Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/WavingDoublePass shader when AssetBundles are built in older Unity Versions